Finding Great Electricians

Finding Great Electricians

A Close Look At The Common Causes Of An Electrical Fire In A Business

Lucy Garza

Between 2010 and 2014, electrical fires were to blame for $614 million in direct property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Even though electrical fires are not the biggest culprit in blazes these days because electrical systems are far more advanced than they have been in the past, these fires are still a concern if you are a business owner. The best line of defense against any kind of property threat in a business operation is education. Therefore, it is a good idea to get familiar with the common causes of electrical fires in a place of business. 

Using light bulbs that are the wrong wattage for the fixture.  

When you buy a light bulb for a specific fixture in your building, make sure you always ensure you are getting a bulb that is the correct wattage. While it shouldn't matter if the wattage is a bit low, if the wattage is too high, it can cause the bulb to heat beyond what is safe for the fixture, which can start a fire. For example, if you use a high-wattage bulb in a fixture that calls for only a 20-watt, low-wattage bulb, the bulb could overheat the receiving receptacle and cause it to melt and smolder. 

Using extension cords in the wrong ways

Extension cords can be indoor or outdoor, come with usage directions, and are designed to carry so much current, but most people disregard these guidelines. If you are using extension cords in your place of business, it is imperative that you know the usage directions of the cord. If the cord is UL-listed for indoor use only, make sure you are not using the cord for an outside connection. If the cord states that it should not be used for more than a few days than only use it as a temporary or occasional-use thing. 

Using outdated wiring instead if having it replaced. 

When you buy a business building that is older, it is critical that you have the electrical wiring checked out throughout the building and allow a licensed professional to make any necessary replacements. Outdated wiring is one of the most common reasons for electrical wiring. The fact is, old wiring was not made as safe. Plus, old wiring is more likely to have damaged insulation coatings that would allow hot wires to be exposed to flammable materials in your building. 

For more information, contact your local electrical service today!


Share

2018© Finding Great Electricians
About Me
Finding Great Electricians

I have never been the kind of person who is overly concerned about my home, but when we started having issues with our electrical systems, it raised a few red flags for me. I was worried about things starting on fire or shocking my kids, so I started looking for a great electrician who could help as soon as possible. I was able to find a local expert who really understood what it meant to do things the right way, and he was really helpful. Within a few days, we were working with him to resolve our electrical problems, and it was nice to see how much of a difference he made.

Categories